On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 03:05:06PM +0100, Matthew Byng-Maddick wrote:
> On Mon, 14 May 2001, David Cantrell wrote:
> > On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 12:11:13PM +0000, Steve Mynott wrote:
> > > Well one advantage of BP or Shell is if you don't like either company
> > > then you can simply choose not to purchase their products.
> > So how, pray, do I opt out of the international oil companies' cartel?
>
> use the tube and electric trains? Most power stations aren't oil fired
> AFAIK.

Right, and how do I eliminate plastics from my life?  And drugs, and all
the other million and one things which are made with their products?  How
do I get home after the trains have stopped?

And how do I ensure that my privately run waste disposal service doesn't
use them?  Or my childrens' privately run school?

In summary - libertarians' claims that customers can choose not to use
$company's products if they dislike the company are patently absurd.

--
David Cantrell | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david/

  Rip, Mix, Burn, unless you're using our "most advanced operating system
   in the world" which we decided to release incomplete just for a laugh