On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 11:27:07AM +0100, Matthew Byng-Maddick wrote:
> On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 03:19:21AM -0700, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> > Paul, who will probably end up using FreeBSD since its hardware RAID
> > (HPT370) and video (Matrox G450 dual) is apparently better...
>
> vinum in mirror mode is not supposed to be that good (apparently it does
> no integrity checking of the mirror). However, I am not an authoritative
> source on this.

You don't have to use vinum with hardware raid.

I almost fell for that, too.  ;-)

OTOH, one other thing to be aware of with vinum (the software RAID bit
of FreeBSD) is that it doesn't support the root partition yet.  AFAIK.

-Dom

--
| Semantico: creators of major online resources          |
|       URL: http://www.semantico.com/                   |