Patrick

Downloaded LPRng and ifhp stable versions yesterday and tried to compile on
a Sun Sparc 5 running Solaris 2.6. LPRng compiled Ok but ifhp did not. The
configure script choked on the Solaris "file -" command. It appears that the
Solaris version of file cannot read from standard input. I tried using LPRng
without ifhp but that didn't work. From the log files it would appear the
lpd also uses the "file -" command. Damn.

The configure script for ifhp suggested that I got the gnu version of file.
Two of us spent hours looking for one. I called Sun Support to see if they
had a patch. Even the latest versions of file do not accept stdin.

I eventually tried file on an old RH5.2 box and it did accept stdin. Luckly
the man page had a ftp site for the source code. It compiled and all worked
well.

My points are:

1. GNU don't appear to have a version of file.

2. Perhaps you could add file to the list of required software in the
Solaris system specific pages of the HOWTO. I found it at
ftp://ftp.astron.com/pub/file/file-X.YY.tar.gz.

3. I HATE having to compile packages because it's usually a bunch of
trouble...


Cheeers

Mark

Mark Wilson
Consultant

Telephone: +64 9 623-1223   Facsimile: +64 9 623-1134
=============================================================
CAUTION:  This message may contain privileged and confidential information
intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named above.  If you are not
the intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that any use,
dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this message is prohibited.
If you have received this message in error please notify Matrix Applied
Computing Ltd immediately.
=============================================================



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you need help, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] (or lprng-requests
or lprng-digest-requests) with the word 'help' in the body.  For the impatient,
to subscribe to a list with name LIST,  send mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
with:                           | example:
subscribe LIST <mailaddr>       |  subscribe lprng-digest [EMAIL PROTECTED]
unsubscribe LIST <mailaddr>     |  unsubscribe lprng [EMAIL PROTECTED]

If you have major problems,  send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the word
LPRNGLIST in the SUBJECT line.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply via email to