Henk/Gunter -

Couple of points.

1)IS-IS PDUs are sent directly over layer 2 - whereas TCP (or other transport)
are sent over Layer3.
This means we have a potential fate sharing issue where IIHs (which continue to
be sent over Layer 2 in your proposal (as I understand it) may be successfully
exchanged but the transport session set up to send LSPs/SNPs may fail. This is
the exact issue RFC 6213 has addressed.

What should happen if IIHs are being successfully exchanged, the neighbors both
indicate support for the extension, but the transport session fails to come up
or goes down?
Would you follow similar behavior to RFC 6213 i.e., bring the adjacency down?
If so, how would you determine when you can bring the adjacency up?

I appreciate you have indicated this as TBD in Section 7.6 of the draft, but
you also say in Section 7.5 that adjacency should NOT go down when transport
session fails - which implies we can have an ongoing condition where an
adjacency is up but
flooding cannot be done-  which is a pathological condition.

2)Your statements regarding existing flooding limitations of IS-IS are rather
dated. Many years ago implementations varied from the base specification by
allowing much faster flooding and contiguous flooding bursts on an interface in
support of fast convergence. There are existing and successful deployments of
an instance with thousands of neighbors and thousands of nodes in a network and
sub-second convergence is supported. So the statement that the existing
protocol per interface flooding is a blocking factor in highly meshed
topologies is not (IMO) accurate. The more accurate characterization of the
flooding problem in dense topologies is the amount of redundant flooding (i.e.,
a node may receive many copies of a new LSP) - which your proposal does nothing
to address (I understand it was not intended to address this problem which you
discuss in a different draft).

My point here is that there are existing implementations which would get no
benefit from your proposal. It might be argued that someone writing a new
implementation may find it simpler to make use of a transport mechanism like
TCP - but I do not think there is compelling data that demonstrates that the
scalability of an implementation using your proposal is better than that of
many existing implementations.

This then suggests that for existing implementations the main motivation to
support your proposal is to help other implementations which have not optimized
their existing implementations. :-)
Comments?

   Les