Hi Les,

> There are existing and successful deployments of an instance with
thousands of
> neighbors and thousands of nodes in a network and sub-second convergence
is supported.

While I completely agree with your above observation (and as a matter of
fact first person to tell me that was actually Henk around year 2000) may I
ask what problem are we solving with vast majority of the proposals in
space of "IGP scaling" for data center deployments currently on the table ?
Are we perfecting the perfect ?

It sounds that what is really needed is a deployment guide (perhaps in the
form of informational RFC) documenting that use of ISIS in 1000(s) node DC
cluster is fine provided features X, Y, Z are enabled.

Otherwise folks out there in the field no matter what is done here will
keep using BGP for huge 50 node DC clusters because RFC7938 says so.

Cheers,
Robert.