Les,

> On Nov 7, 2018, at 11:09 AM, Les Ginsberg (ginsberg) <ginsb...@cisco.com>
> wrote:
>
> 2)Your statements regarding existing flooding limitations of IS-IS are rather
> dated. Many years ago implementations varied from the base specification by
> allowing much faster flooding and contiguous flooding bursts on an interface
> in support of fast convergence. There are existing and successful deployments
> of an instance with thousands of neighbors and thousands of nodes in a
> network and sub-second convergence is supported. So the statement that the
> existing protocol per interface flooding is a blocking factor in highly
> meshed topologies is not (IMO) accurate. The more accurate characterization
> of the flooding problem in dense topologies is the amount of redundant
> flooding (i.e., a node may receive many copies of a new LSP) - which your
> proposal does nothing to address (I understand it was not intended to address
> this problem which you discuss in a different draft).
>
> My point here is that there are existing implementations which would get no
> benefit from your proposal. It might be argued that someone writing a new
> implementation may find it simpler to make use of a transport mechanism like
> TCP - but I do not think there is compelling data that demonstrates that the
> scalability of an implementation using your proposal is better than that of
> many existing implementations.
>
> This then suggests that for existing implementations the main motivation to
> support your proposal is to help other implementations which have not
> optimized their existing implementations. :-)
> Comments?

If there are undocumented implementation enhancements, then other
implementations cannot be presumed to have implemented them.  Other
implementors are fully within their rights to propose other solutions to the
same issues that the undocumented enhancements address.

My recommendation would be to document these enhancements.  However, if you
choose not to, I think that the WG is fully within its rights to pursue other
solutions.

Regards,
Tony

p.s. Nothing is new again.  This is analogous to the situation with HSRP/VRRP.
Have we learned from that?