Well imagine I am building DMZ with two gateways and a firewall connected
to L2 switch. I run IGP between them so my iBGP next hops can resolve.

Later I may perhaps add third and fourth gateway.

I can not normally set it as p2p IGP day one, but it could operate fine for
the first few years as such.

Thx,
R.