Flex algo is usually mentioned in the context of SR-TE to help reduced SRH
size to circumvent MSD issues for both SRV6 and SR-MPLS, however can the
0-127 flex algo extensions since it’s an IGP extension used in any pure IP
network independent of SR flavors SR-MPLS or SRv6.

Also can flex algo be used in conjunction with RSVP-TE or PPR(preferred
path routing).

Kind regards

Gyan

Gyan  Mishra