Hi Les,

> Again, the subTLVs of the area proxy TLV are for the coordination of the
> Inside Area. The Area Proxy TLV appears in the Inside Node’s normal LSP.
>
> The Proxy LSP is for informing the Outside Area.
>
> [Les:] Understood – but I do not see why this requires you to advertise the
> SID in two different TLVs. As you allow the Binding SID TLVs to be advertised
> in both standard LSPs and Proxy LSPs, there seems to be no need for two
> different TLVs to include the advertisement.
> ??

The semantics are completely different. Advertising it in the Binding TLV is
permission to use the SID for packet forwarding.

The advertisement in the Area Proxy LSP is to instruct the Inside Nodes to use
that SID to establish the forwarding state.

> [Les:] Yes – of course – this is pathological. (Probably not hilarious to the
> customer. 😊 )

No doubt, but I’ve found that if one doesn’t regard bugs with some humor, our
profession would be morose, in the extreme.

> I am just saying by having two sources for the advertisement you introduce
> the possibility of inconsistency – and the spec would have to speak to this –
> even if it should not happen.

Ummm…. Not sure what I can say other than “don’t write bugs”.  But ok, I’ll
happily do so.

> We are abusing the definition of the Binding TLV.  2.4 says: "The SID/Label
> Binding TLV may be used to advertise prefixes to SID/Label mappings.”  That’s
> not what we’re doing, so it’s not too surprising that there’s some conflicts.
>
> [Les:] Yes – the Binding TLV has some issues being generalized. There is
> history here as to why the format is the way it is and why it isn’t more
> easily extensible – and that is open for discussion AFAIAC, but we cannot
> break backwards compatibility for SR.

Agreed, trying not to. :-)

> But I am also responding (in part) to your desire to make the Area Segment
> SID a more general tool – usable outside of Area Proxy – which seems like a
> good goal.

And you’ve requested that we put the Area Segment SID in the Binding TLV.  I’ve
tried to do so and you don’t like how I’ve done it.  Please tell me what I can
do that will satisfy you.  From what you’ve said so far, there is no legal way
to use the Binding TLV.

Catch-22.  Yossarian!

Regards,
Tony