Resuming this thread…the authors were kind enough to meet with me and educate
me on how Area Proxy works. The resulting conclusions are:

1)Area Proxy TLV is meant to  be sent ONLY in L1L2 LSPs (NOT Proxy LSPs).

2)Advertisement of Area SID in the Area Proxy TLV is needed so that Inside
Nodes can install a receive entry for that SID

3)Advertisement of Area SID in Binding TLV is needed in Proxy LSPs so that
outside nodes can install a forwarding entry towards the Inside Node(s).
This SID MUST be identical to the SID advertised in the Area Proxy TLV in L2
LSPs.
Use of the Binding TLVs to do this is the current choice.

4)Other uses of an Area SID not related to Area Proxy are outside the scope of
the Area Proxy draft. However, as the concept seems potentially useful in other
scenarios, being able to advertise an Area SID in the Binding TLV allows for
these other uses.
But, any advertisement of Area SID in Binding TLV which appears in L1L2 LSPs is
unrelated to Area Proxy. Whether that SID is the same value as that used for
Area Proxy is something future use cases for Area SID will have to decide.

I therefore think it makes sense to allow advertisement of the Area SID in both
the Area Proxy TLV and the Binding TLV, subject to the constraints above. This
will NOT result in “duplicate advertisements”.

Further details regarding the encoding will need to be provided in future
revisions of the draft.

   Les (both as WG member and Designated Expert for IS-IS TLV Codepoints
Registry)