Hello Acee,

I would like to question your assessment that signalling unreachable routes
is unnecessary.

Imagine hierarchical network with areas. Under no failures area 1
advertises to area 0 summary LSA with 1.1.1.0/24. That block covers PE's
loopbacks which within the area are /32s. Those loopbacks are also BGP next
hops.

Now imagine PE1 with 1.1.1.1/32 fails. Well till BGP reconverges all paths
advertised by this PE with 1.1.1.1/32 are still valid as this next hop is
still reachable entire network wide. That means that traffic is being sent
to this failed PE1 for relatively long period of time.

It seems natural that without breaking benefits of summarization across
areas or domains in the above scenario we could continue to advertise
1.1.1.0/24 - 1.1.1.1/32. That is when I see most benefits of advertising
unreachability aka negative routing.

Of course said all of the above - if you search your employer's archives -
you will see a proposal where the above mechanism can be done within BGP
itself with no touch to the IGP - just using a bit of twisted next hop
validation steps and BGP native recursion. I am not going to make any
judgements here which method is better or easier - naturally I personally
like BGP one more :).

But I hope this is clear why at least discussion on the subject is
important. It also illustrates why the below statement is not
necessarily correct:

"Note that the unreachability of a given summarized prefix is only relevant
if it is reachable through another ABR. "

Kind regards,
Robert.