Les,

> a)Advertise the “Area Prefix” in the Area Proxy TLV – much as we do a
> router-id today in the Router-ID TLV.

This would make the Area Prefix mandatory for Area Proxy, which is not desired.
 We would prefer it to remain optional and thus part of the Area SID sub-TLV.

> b)The remaining info (reachability and SID) can then be provided using
> existing Prefix Reachability advertisements – no need for new sub-TLV for
> “Area SID”. This eliminates any potential issues if the SID advertised by
> “Area SID sub-TLV” were to differ from the SID advertised in Prefix
> Reachability for the same prefix.

As we discussed privately, we view this as a non-issue.  The Area Leader is the
one advertising both the Area SID sub-TLV and the Proxy LSP. If there’s a
coding error, there’s a coding error. There is a single source of truth (the
Area Leader’s config) and we cannot protect against every possible coding
error.  Reconciling the prefix with a separate advertisement has a non-trivial
chance of being broken too, and IMHO, much larger.

>  There then remains the question as to whether the “Area Prefix” is anycast
> or unicast i.e., is it common to all IERs or is it unique to whomever gets
> elected Area Leader?

Does it matter? We have no clear semantics for this prefix. A difference that
makes no difference is no difference.

Tony