> - The transition mechanisms

Hmmm maybe I missed some explanations by authors, but to me concept of
zones is positioned as an addition to the concept of areas or levels - not
a replacement of those.

So when you say "transition" means that something existing no longer would
be in place after successful deployment of a new thing.

Here I am actually not sure if IGP domain could be only constructed with
zones without areas ?

Of course said all of the above I am still not seeing any value in the
proposed new abstraction regardless if such abstraction would be positioned
to exist in parallel to areas/levels or by definition be nested within the
area/level.

r.