Peter,

Let's see if we are talking about the same thing ...

Take SRv6 as example ... You can run flex algorithm only on selected
segment endpoints as you do encap and dst rewrite. So rest of the network
(P/transit routers) do not need to have a clue about any flex-algo
other then plain old SPF.

Now in Ron's case where there is no encap and you are applying flex-algo to
naked packets don't you think there is a difference and a bit of deployment
difficulty to make it work ?

So assume one P node will not support it. This is native IP switching so
BGP advertises routes with new flex-algo next hop. If that next hop is
unreachable as signalling to that flex algo loopback was not understood by
P (new signalling extension) packets will be dropped.

But what if that next hop would happen to be covered by some aggregate
route not subject perhaps to intended IP TE ?

Cheers,
R.