From: Tony Li [mailto:tony1ath...@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Tony Li
Sent: Wednesday, February 24, 2021 6:08 AM
To: wangyali <wangyal...@huawei.com>
Cc: lsr@ietf.org; Huzhibo <huzh...@huawei.com>; Aijun Wang
<wang...@chinatelecom.cn>; Tianran Zhou <zhoutian...@huawei.com>
Subject: Re: [Lsr] New Version Notification for draft-wang-lsr-isis-mfi-00.txt

Hi,

Thank you for contributing your draft. I’m writing because I’m having trouble
understanding the motivation for this work.

First off, I do NOT want to argue about carrying unnecessary information in
IS-IS. IMHO, it is unmitigated evil and an attempt to destroy the viability of
the protocol by creating arbitrary complexity and scale. But never mind that,
I’ll stipulate for this discussion that we want to do so.

Given this, what is it that you’re trying to accomplish?  You’ve called this a
‘multi-flooding instance’, but it’s very unclear about what that means.  You
say that multiple MFIs exist within a single IS-IS instance.
>>Yali: The ‘multi-flooding instance' means that multiple Update process are
>>allowed operating within the zero IS-IS instance. Each Update process is
>>associated with a topology and a LSDB. Flooding parameters of each Update
>>process can be different and customized based on different information needed
>>to be advertised in the associated Flooding Instance.
Although each Flooding Instance has its own separate Update process, flooding
topology and LSDB, these multiple flooding instances share a common adjacencies.

You obviously want data flooded. So what is the difference between an LSP in
MFI A and another LSP in MFI B? Are there separate flooding topologies but a
common LSDB? Or are you trying to subdivide the LSDB?
>>Yali: Because different information advertisements are categorized into
>>different MFI, so an LSP in MFI A and another LSP in MFI B have different
>>flooding topology, flooding parameters, and prioritization for processing
>>LSP.
Each flooding instance is associated with a MFI-specific LSDB, which is trying
to subdivide the LSDB.

You mention that there is only a single update process in an instance. AFAICT,
that’s only a model, not a requirement. There’s no prohibition that I know of
against an implementation using a process per interface if iit wanted to.
>>Yali: As mentioned in draft, the each flooding instance support one update
>>process operation on a LSDB.

What problem are you solving?
>>Yali: The problem we are trying to solve is how to isolate application
>>information flooding from the routing information flooding through multiple
>>flooding instance.

Regards,
Tony