Speaking as WG Chairs:

The authors of “Prefix Unreachable Announcement” have requested an adoption.
The crux of the draft is to signal unreachability of a prefix across OSPF or
IS-IS areas when area summarization is employed and prefix is summarised. We
also have “IS-IS and OSPF Extension for Event Notification” which can be used
to address the same use case. The drafts take radically different approaches to
the problem and the authors of both drafts do not wish to converge on the other
draft’s method so it is understandable that merging the drafts really isn’t an
option.

Before an adoption call for either draft, I’d like to ask the WG:

  1.  Is this a problem that needs to be solved in the IGPs? The use case
offered in both drafts is signaling unreachability of a BGP peer. Could this
better solved with a different mechanism  (e.g., BFD) rather than flooding this
negative reachability information across the entire IGP domain?
  2.  Assuming we do want to take on negative advertisement in the IGP, what
are the technical merits and/or detriments of the two approaches?

We’ll reserve any further discussion to “WG member” comments on the two
approaches.

Thanks,
Acee and Chris