Hi Robert,

From: Robert Raszuk <rob...@raszuk.net>
Date: Tuesday, October 12, 2021 at 4:27 PM
To: Acee Lindem <a...@cisco.com>
Cc: "Acee Lindem (acee)" <acee=40cisco....@dmarc.ietf.org>, "lsr@ietf.org"
<lsr@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Lsr] "Prefix Unreachable Announcement" and "IS-IS and OSPF
Extension for Event Notification"

Hi,

> What are you worried about? Scaling?

Yes if we were to establish BFD sessions between say 1000 PEs then each PE
would need to handle such a number of BFD sessions (as long as at least one
prefix comes with given PE's next hop).

As you know those would be multihop BFD sessions running on REs/RPs which often
are not hardware accelerated as p2p BFD with line card offloading.

Ok – I think BFD should be implement in the data plane like it is for SDWAN
tunnels (at least on the data center routers). But that is a different
discussion.

Then honestly it is not obvious if in such case BFD adds real value as compared
to ICMP or UDP next hop periodic probing (as part of next hop periodic
reachability validation).

Usage of BFD with protocols is standard. Alternatives would work as well. You
should put your BGP solution out there as well.

Thx,
Robert

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 10:15 PM Acee Lindem (acee)