Peter Psenak <ppse...@cisco.com> writes:

On 24/01/2022 21:27, Christian Hopps wrote:
Peter Psenak <ppsenak=40cisco....@dmarc.ietf.org> writes:

On 24/01/2022 16:19, Christian Hopps wrote:
Peter Psenak <ppsenak=40cisco....@dmarc.ietf.org> writes:

Chris,

On 24/01/2022 10:29, Christian Hopps wrote:

Again KISS applies here:
         If the summarization process *doesn't work* for a given prefix P, then
*don't use summarization* for prefix P!

above simply does not work.

1. so far nobody summarizes and it all works. True, reason being that the number
of PEs in the network is typically below 10k. Also summarization with the MPLS
data plane is problematic.

We are getting requests to design a next-gen networks that will include 100k
PEs. The summarization is essential in such scale.
So pick a better design -- seriously.
It seems its time to think "outside the single IGP box" to handle the PE to PE
functionality when you start contemplating 100k PEs. Especially when every PE
probably doesn't need full-mesh hyper-adaptive knowledge of every other PE for
doing their jobs.

- multiple IGPs do not solve the problem. You can stick BGP between them, but it
  brings its own issues. What else do you have?
These aren't my customers bringing these demands to me -- so not my job. :)
Maybe this doesn't even need to be done in routing at all.

I thought scaling IGPs to meet the real life deployment requirements is part of
the LSR WG charter. If we say "go and fix it elsewhere", maybe we can close the
WG.

This is disingenuous. I think it's pretty clear that I'm not saying that "let's not
fix scaling issues". I'm saying don't hack the hell out of the protocol to make it
do something it's not designed to do.

Thanks,
Chris.

- the point is we can scale IGPs to these numners with summarization easily.
  With summarization you have a perfect topology isolation and decent
convergence
if we solve the problem in hand.
But that the point, it's *not* easy at all, you are having to hack the routing
protocol into doing non-normal ugly things to make it into a workable
solution.

why?

Flat ISIS networks with 3k PE nodes have been deployed. In such case, each
router sees full topology of 3k+ nodes + 3k PE addresses.

With the 100k PE, split in 100 areas with the summarization in place, each
router would see 1k nodes in its area + 1,1k prefixes. Less than the above. What
is the problem?

- nobody claims every PE needs to talk to every PE. But any PE in any area may
  need to talk to some PEs from other areas.
Definitely something to consider for looking at better fitting solutions.
Putting this in the IGP provides way more than you need, which may be a hint
at why that solution is not cleaning working for you.

sorry, I don't get what you are trying to say here. You are claiming something
does not work without providing any evidence as why that would be the case.

thanks,
Peter

Thanks,
Chris.

In any case the inelegance of the proposed changes to the routing protocol are
a giant flashing red warning light that the chosen design is not the right
one.

I don't understand the basis of the above statement.

thanks,
Peter

Thanks,
Chris.
[as wg member]

2. We are only talking about PE addresses here, not the infrastructure links
obviously - those are filtered out using other techniques. All the PE addresses
are equally important, it's not possible to make only some of them important,
while others not.

thanks,
Peter

Thanks,