From: lsr-boun...@ietf.org <lsr-boun...@ietf.org> On Behalf Of Ketan Talaulikar
Sent: Saturday, January 29, 2022 4:22 PM
To: Aijun Wang <wangai...@tsinghua.org.cn>
Cc: lsr@ietf.org; draft-ietf-lsr-ospf-bfd-strict-m...@ietf.org; Albert Fu
<af...@bloomberg.net>; Acee Lindem (acee) <acee=40cisco....@dmarc.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Lsr] Working Group Last Call for "OSPF Strict-Mode for BFD" -
draft-ietf-lsr-ospf-bfd-strict-mode-04

Hi Aijun,

The choice of the term "adjacency" was not accurate in my previous response to
you. I meant "neighborship".

That said, the substance of my response still remains the same.

Thanks,

Ketan

On Sat, Jan 29, 2022 at 1:42 PM Aijun Wang <wangai...@tsinghua.org.cn
<mailto:wangai...@tsinghua.org.cn> > wrote:

Hi, Ketan:

    For the Broadcast/NMBA network type, if you establish BFD sessions before
the DR/BDR selection, then there will be full mesh BFD sessions within the
routers on such media type?

Instead of establishing the BFD sessions with DR/BDR only, the same as the OSPF
adjacency relationship? If so, if one of the BFD session that not with the
DR/BDR is DOWN, what’s the action then?

KT> I think there is perhaps a misunderstanding of the purpose of BFD use with
OSPF. Perhaps a careful reading of RFC5882 would help? In short, BFD is used to
verify bidirectional connectivity between neighbors to ensure data may be
forwarded between them. OSPF adjacency is built between every router in a LAN
since they can directly forward packets between themselves.

[WAJ] In Broadcast/NBMA network, OSPF adjacency is built only between the
routers and DR/BDR.

Thanks,

Ketan

Best Regards