Hi Albert,

> [AF] This draft ensures that BFD can be used to detect failure quickly
> when there is a complete path failure between the nodes. You are right that
> there are many other types of failure that BFD cannot detect.
>
> Indeed, but the draft says otherwise. I think that needs to be adjusted
before publication. If you say it detects complete path failure then
perfect. It could detect more than that ... say path failure at some MTUs
if more time is allowed to test the link before ospf adj comes up.

[AF] This is a good point you brought up. Both router vendors that I have
> tested (Cisco & Juniper) do indeed have timer mechanism to delay when OSPF
> would be allowed to come up, which we have tested (useful to guard against
> flapping links). I am not sure if this "hold down" mechanism needs to be
> included in the draft.

Sure one option is to keep it as a cfg knob.

But If you do not exchange this timer with agreement to choose a lower one
between peers you are both risking misconfiguration as well as adding a bit
more operational complexity.

Even if this is not exchanged, draft/rfc should still mention it and
recommend some wise default timer - say 5 sec. Maybe more. But I see no
harm to signal it explicitly between peers.

Moreover there can be implementations which will not support that timer and
it will be needed to ask them each time to add it.

Thx,
R.