Les,

Please kindly present the facts.

The facts are that equivalent functionality in OSPF which has been approved
for years uses a configurable timer which allows both - to wait for BFD as
well to make sure that BFD stays UP till that timer expires. The point I
even started this discussion was about your threat *that this timer will be
removed* once this draft goes to RFC.

So today without this timer when the interface goes UP both OSPF and BFD go
in parallel and OSPF can win. That is bad as BFD when it comes UP and
shortly goes down causes routing churn and packet drops. Note that can
happen in the vast majority of cases when either links have problems with
unicast (possible but pretty rare) or when BFD came up some time (say 100
ms) after OSPF brought adj. UP and then BFD declared failure during Echo
packet exchange.

So how does the situation above change with this draft ...

When the interface goes UP OSPF will not bring adj UP till BFD comes UP.
But then we are back in square one as OSPF adj comes UP and BFD after a
full cycle of testing brings it back down. So what have we accomplished
with this draft/RFC - nothing.

In both cases you have to be pretty unlucky to get a link failure either
between OSPF adj UP and BFD full cycle of Echo packets. But the entire
purpose of this draft is to address that very unfortunate sequence of
events.

We all seem to agree we need to wait a bit longer. We have whatsoever no
agreement across WGs who should take it on it's shoulder. Should this be
BFD to delay UP notification to the client, should this be the client to
take UP but only move on if no DOWN was seen within a timer or maybe this
should be middlemen like RIB which is likely acting as a postman here.

I still believe all of this should be at least reflected in the draft even
if the conclusion is to leave it up to implementation choice.

IMO refusing to even mention this is equal to proceeding with
architecturally broken specification.

Cheers,
Robert.