Hi Les,

> There is nothing in RFC 5880 (nor in, what I consider to be even more
> relevant, RFC 5882) that requires a BFD implementation to signal UP state
> to a BFD client within a specific time following transition of the BFD
> state machine to UP . An implementation is free to introduce a delay (as
> you suggest) before such signaling.

My reading of section 6.2 of RFC5880 clearly indicates that BFD is
signalling UP state when BFD session has been established without any
delay.

I am not sure if BFD implementation is free to introduce any delay there
yet still to claim full compliance to RFC5880 (even if technically it would
make sense to have such delay).

Quote:

   Up state means that the BFD session has successfully been
   established, and implies that connectivity between the systems is
   working.  The session will remain in the Up state until either
   connectivity fails or the session is taken down administratively.

Rgs,
Robert.