Bruno –

You began your comments in the context of the adoption thread (Subject: RE:
[Lsr] WG Adoption Call - draft-pkaneria-lsr-multi-tlv (11/17/2023 -
12/09/2023)).
I note that you subsequently started a new thread with new (Subject:
draft-pkaneria-lsr-multi-tlv).
But as the new thread continued the discussion of the comments which began in
the previous thread, you might understand why we missed the distinction and
assumed the discussion was in the context of WG adoption call.

OK – I get it now – you don’t want to comment on WG adoption – you just want to
make comments on the draft.

The draft is almost 2 years old, has undergone multiple revisions of
significance – partly in response to comments we received on the list.
The authors will certainly continue to listen to comments and incorporate them
in the document based on discussion.
However, given that WG adoption is in progress, it would be pointless for us to
continue to produce new versions of the document if the WG were to decide NOT
to adopt the draft. So, I hope you can understand why we are waiting for the
question of adoption to be settled before proceeding with further work.
This doesn’t obligate you to voice an opinion on WG adoption, but it certainly
would be helpful if you did – and I encourage you to do so.

Many of your comments deserve further discussion – and that will certainly
happen if work on the document continues, but for now I only want to respond to
one remark you made:

<snip>
It seems that there are existing implementations and just like they did not
consult the WG to enable this non-compatible feature, they will not change
whatever one might say (not even change the control to enable this mechanism.
<end snip>

What multiple vendors did is try to address a problem that has resulted from
the additional features that have been defined in recent RFCs – specifically
(but not exclusively) Segment Routing and Flex Algo. These already standardized
and deployed protocol extensions resulted in scenarios where it is necessary to
send more than 255 bytes for IS Neighbors and Prefix Reachability TLVs – which
in turn resulted in unpredictable behavior from implementations which did not
know how to deal with such cases. Note that we did not define new extensions
which were not standardized – we simply tried to deal with the requirements
which came from protocol extensions which have already been standardized. In
doing so, we followed the model which has been explicitly defined (and
deployed) for some existing TLVs (such as Router Capability). In the process of
doing so, we also clearly saw the problems associated with partial deployment –
sending MP TLVs in the presence of nodes which don’t support them causes
serious problems. We looked for solutions that allowed for safe partial
deployment – but found there are none. Subsequent discussion in the WG has
confirmed that. We then began work on draft-pkaneria-lsr-multi-tlv so that the
full community was aware of the issues.

In short, we have not created a problem – we are trying to address a problem
that already exists and which is going to be encountered with increasing
frequency as greater scale is deployed.

I see this as a good thing – even being proactive – and I would have thought
operators like yourself would be appreciative of this effort. But it seems this
has made you angry – you seem to think the vendors involved are rogues who care
nothing for operational stability. Which strikes me as “shooting the messenger”
behavior.
Should we have done nothing and simply waited for operators to encounter
problems – networks falling over in surprising ways?

Also, regarding your statement that the vendors who have tried to be proactive
will ignore any recommendations that are placed in the draft – I am frankly
offended by this statement. Speaking on behalf of one vendor, I can tell you we
have already modified our implementation to conform to the best practices
defined in the draft – and will continue to monitor the progress of the draft
and make further changes as needed. Has your experience of vendor/operator
interaction over the past decades really been so bad that your expectations are
so low?? That is concerning if true.

   Les