On Nov 6, 2007 2:34 AM, Donny Christiaan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> What about if I use 4x250Gb (SATA-II) and I would like to use Software
> RAID-5 ?
>
> Is it recomended for LTSP server ? I'll use k12ltsp-6.

To do reliable Raid-5, you need a hardware card with battery powered
Ram or NVRam. As every hardware raid, you also need a spare card with
same firmware version. A really high cost compared to software Raid-1.

This is because you can not do atomic writes on many disk as it is
required by Raid-5 (you can read linux kernel documentation to have
more details).

How critical is your server ? If you can have a full day of downtime
to restore from backup, software Raid-5 is ok; but usually, the cost
is higher than adding or upgrading Raid-1 disks.

--
Sebastien Koechlin