On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 10:34 AM, Jordan Erickson
<jerick...@logicalnetworking.net> wrote:
> Frank,
>
> Java is indeed slow even with the Gutsy workaround - Coincidentally I
> just got word from TypingMaster (comany that makes typing tutuor
> software based in Java) that they updated their software to limit the
> screen re-draws Java uses in one of it's word games. I'm guessing it
> might inhibit the same slow-screen-redraw behavior as Flash (just a bit
> much for the network to handle, especially if your server is @100Mbps).
>
> I'd definitely recommend a 1Gbps NIC in your server / switch if you're
> serving more than 5-6 clients (just to have the assurance that it's not
> network congestion at the server). Maybe we can draw some similarities
> in some of these issues and present them to the Java team..? I'm sure it
> can be optimized for remote X a bit more than it has (if at all).

Forgive me if I'm talking about something completely different, but
slowness in Flash has been mentioned at least a couple times on this
list, both in its own thread and in others. I just wanted to mention
that my network has a server and 4 thin clients on a gigabit switch.
Even with only 2 clients running, if one is running flash, the other
client gets very sluggish feeling.

I don't know the cause of this, but I can say for sure that my network
is not running at capacity, so I wouldn't recommend anybody running
out to buy a gigabit switch hoping this will solve their java and
flash problems. I should add though that I haven't tried the Gutsy
workaround.

Also, while java is really slow on my clients, I haven't confirmed
that java running on one client will cause other clients to be
sluggish. Anyway, I don't have any new insight to add, other than that
increasing your network throughput will not solve all of your problems
if they are like my problem, and they do appear to be.

db