On 07/23/2012 05:45 PM, Sudev Barar wrote:
> On 23 July 2012 21:07, Eberhard Roloff <tux...@gmx.de> wrote:
>> On 07/23/2012 05:15 PM, PRP Company wrote:
>>> But if I just wanted a simple 2-computer, server + client
>>> setup in some situations, is there a way of setting this
>>> up without a switch?
>> Simply leave the switch out and connect directly via cable.
> Use crossover cable. Without a switch in between just any cable will not work.
While crossover will do no harm, this is wrong.
I use that setup quite often for testing purposes. And it's
years ago, that I had to revert to my crossover cable.

See here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable

begin of cite=====
A cable with connections that "cross over" was used to
connect two devices of the same type: two hosts or two switches
to each other. Owing to the inclusion of Auto-MDIX
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-MDIX> capability, modern
implementations of the Ethernet over twisted pair
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_over_twisted_pair>
standards usually no longer require the use of crossover cables.
end of cite======

Eberhard