Am 02.10.2010 03:33, schrieb Bob Trevithick:
>> I really hope that it can be removed from the system, or it can be turned
>> off in a sane way.
>> BTW, in the past usplash always work on my box, but plymouth is really
>> problematic.
>>
> I'm over my head here, but I've heard others say that this thing is
> like a cancer that has metathesized throughout the entire system.
> That the dependencies make it almost impossible to remove.

Thats not true. I debugged the plymouth package in Debian for my latest
release of ZevenOS-Neptune and I can say, it works very fine with free
software drivers. With proprietary Softwaredrivers you need to attact
vga=792 or another high resolution highcolor mode for it to work.
Crashes of plymouth should not affect booting.
Deleting it is no problem.