Folks,

I will freely admit that I'm seizing the opportunity to raise an old
point - but that problem would be non-existent if this was a project
that implemented a methodology as opposed to being a continuous port
effort. I will even go as far as suggesting that this would broaden (and
ease) the recruitment of committers. It almost feels like the goal is
not simply to port Lucene.java to Lucene.net but to also develop a
technology that ports things automatically. I would almost suggest that
this in itself could be an ASF TLP. It still feels to me that everyone
is trying to cut the head off a two-headed dragon with a single sword
and a single motion.

Once search algorithms was discovered and implemented - it should be up
to the language-specific programmers to implement these and optimize
these as they see fit. Both languages have their strengths and their own
frameworks - at the moment the java side has great benefits which in
turn greatly hinder the success of the .net side.

In a nutshell, while some cultures seem to be better at courtship - the
fact that I don't speak some of these languages shouldn't make me less
good at it.

I think that a project for a Java->NET and NET->Java would be a great
idea. Again, it would allow a lot of people that are doing the same for
hundreds of other projects to simply pool their efforts.

Just my Canadian 2 cents (which is almost at par with the American cents
these days)

Karell Ste-Marie
C.I.O. - BrainBank Inc