Does the conversion tool actually help or hinder?

My feeling is that the more dependency you have on a tool, the less likely
this project will ever stand on its own.

There should probably be parallelized branches. one that continues using the
tool to provide for the current gaps between .net & lucene while the other
branch that focuses on more .net styled api is moved forward.

It also seemed like other volunteers wanted to use Visual Studio 2010, move
lucene.net to a more .net friendly api (hopefully adhere a bit better to the
ms coding
guidelines<http://blogs.msdn.com/b/brada/archive/2005/01/26/361363.aspx>so
that figure one's way around the code base is less invovled), and let
it
evolve.

As Grant points out, the biggest problem is getting people to not
just discuss the future of lucene.net but actually to step up and get
involved working on it.

No one should be discarded for their lack of  Java or programming knowledge
if they have a sincere wish to learn and hours to give to the project.
 There are more things to be done than just coding or porting java code.
 They can learn as they go.  Does one really need to know Java to write C#
test cases?

This project seriously lacks visibility, documentation, a decent website,
blogging on lucene.net, or any kind of decent PR/Marketing pathway that will
help build up the community and move it forward.  Any future PMC should be
cognizant of that as well as the landscape of .Net opensource and how that
is changing of late.

The java version has solr (which any language can talk to) built on top of
it and can use other projects like tika / poi for indexing.  Whats the
business value of lucene.net if its line by line port of the lucene version
that doesn't have anything extra that its father project already has?

Something to think on.

- Michael

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 2:17 PM, Lombard, Scott <slomb...@kingindustries.com

--