On Friday 14 February 2003 07:27, Aaron Galea wrote:
> I had this problem when using xerces to parse xml documents. The problem I
> think lies in the Java garbage collector. The way I solved it was to create

It's unlikely that GC is the culprit. Current ones are good at purging objects
that are unreachable, and only throw OutOfMem exception when they really have
no other choice.
Usually it's the app that has some dangling references to objects that prevent
GC from collecting objects not useful any more.

However, it's good to note that Xerces (and DOM parsers in general) generally
use more memory than the input XML files they process; this because they
usually have to keep the whole document struct in memory, and there is
overhead on top of text segments. So it's likely to be at least 2 * input
file size (files usually use UTF-8 which most of the time uses 1 byte per
char; in memory 16-bit unicode-2 chars are used for performance), plus some
additional overhead for storing element structure information and all that.

And since default max. java heap size is 64 megs, big XML files can cause
problems.

More likely however is that references to already processed DOM trees are not
nulled in a loop or something like that? Especially if doing one JVM process
for item solves the problem.

> a shell script that invokes a java program for each xml file that adds it
> to the index.

-+ Tatu +-