Thanks Matt, I am working on using the xpdf as suggested by you. I get error at the
following statement.
Could you elloborate on the statement
String[] cmd = new String[] {
        PATH_TO_XPDF,
        "-enc", "UTF-8", "-q", filename, "-"};
I defined PATH_TO_XPDF as "c:/xpdf/pdftotext.exe" the rest remaining same. I get error
saying some incomapatible types, file and string, could not understand!
Thanks again!
Pinky
 Matt Tucker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:Rob,

We ran into this problem too, and our solution was to use a native PDF
text extractor (PDFBox just can't seem to handle large PDFs well).
Basically, we try to parse with the native app first, and if that fails,
we parse with PDFBox. We used:

http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/

A code snippet for using this is:

String[] cmd = new String[] {
PATH_TO_XPDF,
"-enc", "UTF-8", "-q", filename, "-"};
Process p = Runtime.getRuntime().exec(cmd);
BufferedInputStream bis = new
BufferedInputStream(p.getInputStream());
InputStreamReader reader = new InputStreamReader(bis, "UTF-8");
out = new StringWriter();
char [] buf = new char[512];
int len;
while ((len = reader.read(buf)) >= 0) {