Jon:

Jon wrote:----Actually the best wood for zither
pins is seven layer maple with clean crossed grains. Of course this is Greek
to the dedicated lutenist, you don't think other instruments exist (sorry
about that, and I know I'm wrong to say it, but what the hell - old
curmudgeons have self appointed privileges <g>).

I address this as a separate issue.  I slightly resent your implication that
those of us who play the Lute are oblivious to other instruments, this is
untrue.  Most of us that are into the Lute have gone through a mine field of
misinformation, bad research, faulty assumptions and the pontifications of
the pompous know-it-alls who believe that before the piano forte there was
no other instrument in existence that was worthy of the efforts of a serious
musician.

Many of us have become serious students of the way the instruments were
built understanding that these were the instruments used to play the music
we love.  Because of this you have afforded us the title of old curmudgeons.
I suppose this makes it OK for us to assign you with the title of holier
than thou dilettante?  I guess the question asks itself.  If you consider
our points of view of such little importance why do you continue to ask
questions of us.  It seems you believe you have a better idea so it should
not matter what we think, or am I missing something here?

Vance Wood.