Dear Vance & Marcus,
I kept an e mail of Stephen Barber's concerning the Hever Castle
lutes - three of them were authentic ivory bodied historical instruments -
the Magno Dieffopruchar 6 course now in the Beare collection in London,
a Joachim Tielke of 1696 now in the GNM Nurnberg and an Andreas Berr
13 course of 1699 now owned by the Boston Museum of Fine Art. The idea
that any of these belonged to Anne Boleyn is pretty far fetched - even the
earliest (the Dieffopruchar) is likely to have been built after her death.
Hever Castle was the home of the Boleyn family and the Astors clearly
liked to apply a little hype for the benefit of visitors. There
is an excellent article by Stephen on the Dieffopruchar in "The Lute" 1982
Part 2
(UK Lute Society Journal) - this instrument is one of our most important
reference points for the 6 course lute and many makers now offer
copies of it. The use of ivory for lute bodies by Dieffopruchar, Tielke &
Berr
must surely mean that you are right, Vance, that it made a good sounding
lute.
I have a report of the sale of the Dieffopruchar and Berr lutes in
"Early Music" - (October 1981) - they both sold for £4500 - not that much
more
than we pay for a copy now!
Best wishes,
Denys