Dear Thomas,

Ed made a recommendation to listen to Toyohiko Satoh's recording of the cello suites
1,2,4 on BL with particular emphasis on the sound of the lower bass strings.  I do
have this recording and must confess I listened with more focus on the quality of
sound, and - yes - was impressed.

I have not changed my strings for two years!  and they definitely need a change.  I
just fear that the fourteenth course will rattle?

I believe you have produced a fined recording of Baroque lute music containing
contemporary music.

Well done!

Best wishes,

Michael.

Thomas Schall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Ed and the rest of the list,

I tried gut and confess it's the better choice regarding sound etc.
I needed to get used to the feeling of gut on the fingers - I felt like
glued on the strings the first time I tried to play them.
The KO for gut and the reason to change back to nylgut was that the
first chantarelle broke after three days of usage (the second lasted 4
days).

Maybe it was bad luck - but gut is rather expensive and I didn't feel
the sound would have so much so I decided to change back to nylgut.
Anyway - I would give it another try if someone could recommend a better
quality (I was recommended Kürschner's Luxline but asking for the price
- 450 bucks for a set of strings - is was out of the question).

Thomas

--
Thomas Schall
Niederhofheimer Weg 3