From: "Michael Stitt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Michael Thames" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 8:11 PM
Subject: Re: The ecological sustainable lute & luthier

> Thanks for your detailed reply Michael.
>
> I guess some companies - and I'm sure there are many, which condone
woodchipping and other uses on a non sustainable basis,  which are the real
vandals, and not the humble luthier.  Its unfortunate that the market (and
therefore $$$) which appears to be the only real regulation for the purchase
of rainforest timbers.  Perhaps I am wrong but I understand the Amazon still
undergoes enormous removal of prime timbers which continue to be illegally
logged.

> I do recall a thread on this list discussing alternative materials
including plastics ( frightening thought isn't it!) to curb the ever
diminishing supply of rare woods.

> Regards,
>
> Michael.
>

> Michael Thames <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Dear Michael,
> In this day and age, I think cutting down any tree whether endangered, or
> not, is a crime. However, some crimes are more serious than others. This
> from a self confessed criminal.
> The only thing stopping me from buying up all the Brazilian rosewood I
> can is the price, and whats worse than cutting down Brazilian rosewood, is
> cutting down Yew wood, the longest living tree on the planet, with the
> exception of maybe a couple others.
> I don't know how it is in Canada and further north of New Mexico, but
> every pine tree here has been killed by the pine beetle, and scientist
here
> predict it will only get worse and spread further north, as the planet
> warms.
> I've witnessed this myself and have seen this spread to the higher
> elevations were it will affect spruce as well. I can live without
Brazilian