Dear All,

Just a few thoughts on yew:

We know from the letters to which Denys referred that the lutemakers used wood cut for
bow staves.  I don't know what kind of size piece is required for a longbow but I
wonder whether this explains the preference for multirib lutes (because the wood was
not wide enough for wide ribs - OK there are some lutes with ribs around 40mm wide
like the Venere C36).   Perhaps it also explains the origin of the use of heart/sap
ribs to get a striped effect.

Some people are convinced that yew was in demand from the old makers because of its
acoustic properties, but good though it is, I wonder about the decorative aspect.
Many of the surviving lutes have survived because they were made of costly materials
(ebony, ivory, yew?) and/or were highly decorated.  The multirib striped yew back may
have been a costly rarity (and certainly a thing of great beauty) even in the 16th
century.  If I remember correctly, one of the lutemakers complained that he could only
get enough yew for three or four lutes per year - from what did he and his (factory)
workshop make the other 996 lutes?  Presumably less rare and costly materials such as
various kinds of maple.

Incidentally, the yew trees in English churchyards are beautiful, spectacular, old and
full of occult and folkloric associations, but would have been useless for longbows
(or lutes).  The fantastic close-grained, straight, knot-free wood required for these
purposes grew in forests (and in a cold climate), whole stands of yew trees.  It makes
me weep just to think of it...

Best wishes,

Martin