I think there is conscious design element that uses the resonant frequency.
A friend who owns a Chambure copy and tunes his open 6th to its RF which
resides between F and F#. Other lutes have used the RF of the open 5th
course which is equally useful.

Then there is the effect of meantone tuning. Some folks notice a better
resonance and more volume when using some sort of meantone fret pattern.

I don't think historic builders and players would have ignored these
factors when reaching for a better sound. Based on building experience it
should be possible to find measurements that are repeatable. Certainly
there was similar expertise that went into building tuned sets of
recorders. For solo playing however, we should experiment more w/ tuning to
the best sound for the instrument.

As I write this, Guy Smith's letter just popped in. It makes a lot of sense
and perhaps benefits could coincide for both arguments. Perhaps the goal
was to distribute the frequencies over the widest possible range but it
maybe it also remains inevitable that one set of frequencies will dominate.
If they have to be there why not use those to advantage and maximise the
the rest w/ a well chosen top and bracing?

best regards,
Sean