On Thursday, February 12, 2004, at 01:47 PM, Herbert Ward wrote:

> I've noticed several Dowland pieces with titles honoring governmental
> and
> military figures (the Earl of Essex, a naval admiral, etc.).
>
> The dedications strike the modern taste as greasy -- none of us would
> compose a marching band piece (much less a lute piece) personally to a
> distant military or political figure.
>
> How does one explain this striking difference in taste?  Does a
> monarchist
> mindset produce such servility?  Perhaps Dowland really knew and
> admired
> these people

What "striking difference in taste" are you referring to?  If you
really think that ass-kissing went out with the renaissance, my friend,
you'd better wake up and smell the coffee.

But that aside, I don't think those Elizabethan dedications were given
in a spirit of greasy servility.  True, in terms of modern taste the
idea of "Kerry's Pavane" or "Mr George W. Bush, His Galliard" does seem
a little over the top ;-)  ;-)  but those types of dedications were
among the accepted ways in Dowland's day to curry favor with the Great
and Good.  Indeed, it was the accepted way to network with people who
could advance your career.

DR