Stephen,

I often use Nylgut on the 1st and 2nd courses and 4th course octave of my
6-c lutes.

I like:
the similar density to gut
it's tuning is usually predictable (but the thin ones go a little atonal
after 6 months).
they are inexpensive

I don't like (but deem acceptable):
the hardness (it cuts into the fret gut more than gut)
the texture lacks the gut subtlety but certainly fills the bill for general
practicing
the tuning (while somewhat predictable) moves differently than the gut
strings.
the slipperiness can occasionally make knotting a problem.
the pasty white color (why can't we get blue, green or striped??)

It can work okay for 3rd course but I don't like it on the 4th fundamental
or below (too stiff for a pretty sound) I use solid gut on the 4th and
suggest Aquila's V-gut or Dan Larson's 'roped' gut [Ed, what's the proper
term he uses?] for 5th and 6th fundamentals and it all balances out nicely
enough for general use. I can't speak to strings below that.

Good luck,
Sean Smith