From: "rosinfiorini" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 10:12 AM
Subject: Re: Re: Carbon fiber strings

> Jon wrote:
> >But it is only important on a lute as
> > to the chaterelle, and the highest pitch one wants to attain (and for
many
> > coursed lutes whether the bass courses can make a musical sound without
the
> > extension of the VL, as in the arch lutes and theorbos).
> ________________________
> for many lute players the extension of the vibrating lenght (VL) is not a
simple dry, technical means to provide certain pitch for certain gauge, etc.
It is the means to have a LONGER VIBRATING TONE. You can't go too long on
fretted courses but why not on the basses--this is the true logic behind
very long basses. Longer vibrating bass is sweet and dull, drum-like,
quickly dying bass string of short lenght is better for "marimba" loving
sound(lol)

> Craig,
> >
> > Arto has given you a number I can't quarrel with for the carbon fibers
for
> > mass, but tensile strength is another matter (and for those who have
> > corrected me for using that term, it may be inexact as one is dealing
with
> > stress, but it is a usable term).
> >
> > The mass is a cubic measure (as Arto gave it), after all there can be no
> > mass in a pure plane any more than there is length in a point or width
in a
> > line. In our three dimensional world one needs all three dimensions to
make
> > up mass (I won't speak for the "Flatlanders", nor for extradimensional
> > beings - just for our particular space).
> >
> > But the strength, in the sense of breaking stress, is a square measure.
> > Within limits the length makes no difference, only the stress resistance
of
> > the material (in bridge cables one has to add the weight of the cable
itself
> > to the load it bears, and other such confusions - and with strings one
has
> > to consider the imperfections that multiply the longer the string).
> >
> > Tensile strength is of interest to lutenists (and other string players)
> > because of the question of "breaking pitch", which tends to be the same
no
> > matter the gauge of the string for a given length. The string of greater
> > mass needs a higher tension (stress) to reach a pitch, but it also has
> > greater strength due to the thicker cross section. It is not intuitive
that
> > the "breaking pitch" should always be the same for a given material -
the
> > relationships might not be linear - but it seems they are.
Experimentation