Matt, got to this one second - already answered your direct email.

Thanks for the historical references, they are interesting and informative.

You properly say that the p/i "thumb under" technique derives from the use
of the quill pick in the early music. As do others in this thread (including
myself). But what seems to be left out of the thread is the stroke. Damiano
(current) makes a distinction between the finger articulation of polyphony
and the forearm stroke of the p/i "thumb under". The latter duplicates the
stroke on the quill pick, using the entire forearm to make the sound. When
one adds additional notes to the stroke one must use more RH fingers
(obviously). The modern mandolin player in a country band uses a wrist
action with his little plastic pick, but I doubt that could have been done
with the more unwieldy quill pick. So it seems likely that the stroke was
full forearm (weaker on the upbeat). It is consistant that the change to
thumb out would come with the advent of using the instrument for a
polyphonic line. One would want the strong sound in the bass to hold through
the divisions in the treble. The instrument became "two voiced". The lower
voice being a line to play off of. Sometimes contrapuntal and sometimes
harmonic, but always needing to carry against the divisions.

Thumb over or thumb under, the thumb can make a nice legato in the bass, but
I see little difference. The difference seems to be in the use of the
fingers as the impetus. Are they "articulated" to produce the stroke, or are
they "riding on the forearm stroke". That is why I call "thumb under/in" a
misnomer. It isn't the position of the thumb and fingers relative to the
strings, it is the way they are used to make the "pluck". A full chord can
be made with a thumb stroke down with the full forearm, or up with a finger.
But an open chord requires articulation of thumb and fingers since the
forearm can't move in two directions at once. Please pardon an analysis from
an amateur, but I think there is logic here.

In my humble opinion the change over around 1600 matched the change in the
music to two voices on the single instrument. The m/i articulation would
have been used when the thumb was needed to provide the bass voice, and the
p/i forearm stroke when making a fast run in the treble against a held bass
note (which requires either an open string bass, or a bass note that can be
held with a finger on the fret while playing the upper run).

OK, so I'm full of Molson's and writing a lot of BS, I tend to do that - and
am always willing to be corrected. Somerset annual Harp Festival this
weekend. Got to switch gears.

Best, Jon