CDs are 44.1/16 bit, and 44.1 is a "bad fraction".
In converting 44.1/24 to CD, the music is organized into blocks, and
the extra bits are tossed (remember that they can be used for gain),
but if you record at 44.1 you then can get almost exactly that info
onto the CD.
If you record at 48, you have to convert 48 to 44.1, which to my ear
never sounds right. However, it can be done. Nowadays, there is no
need to do it since you can play the original 24 bit file on a
compter or laptop.
For $100 or less you can get a sound card for a laptop or PC that has
exceptional sound.
However, you can put the full 48/24 onto any DVD, and it will sound
great. A sort of sound track with no movie. Or you can even put
multiple versions on a DVD
You can also put higher resolutions on to a DVD audio. which is a
special kind of audio DVD.
DVD audio sounds amazing for lute, but most people want high quality MP3s.

Basically, there are just two many formats, but almost anything plays
on a computer or recent DVD player, so CD players are becoming rarer.

When I make CDs, I either record at 44.1/24 OR 88.2/24.
88.2 divides perfectly to make a CD.

Nowadays, it makes little sense not to use 48 or 96, so you can use
it with video, or just enjoy the extra highs.
However, for lute, the microphones, converters and preamps are more
important than the sampling. Most lute recordings just do not have
enough gain, they have too much inherent noise, or there is a kind of
squawk to the high notes caused by the poor capture of transient harmonics.
Recently, lower priced electronics have overcome most of these
hurdles, although the microphones, for example a pair of sennheiser
MKH 20's, remains somewhat expensive. I say somewhat because when
recording a full orchestra a pair of $1500 mics is not that much if
you need 32 of them.

A pair of MKH20s and a Fireface 400 will make a great lute recording,
and you can also use a high end preamp like the Audio Upgrades High
Speed mic preamp (very good for early music). A lot of my colleagues
use Great River preamps but I prefer other ones for early music.
There are a lot of great preamp designs, look for a noise figure of ein 129.5.

One thing to remember:
I often have people to try out gear. We put up a selection of mics,
and listen blind. Different people prefer different gear. Till you
listen yourself, you are just guessing. Take the time to try out
everything on a short list.
For budget mics try the studio projects b1 or C4, modded oktava omnis
or Elation KMs if you can find them. However if recording hiss bugs
you, then you have to spend a bit more......

dt