Andrew,

Yes, it seems obvious that players, at least later in the baroque period,
used a technique as you are describing.  Actually, I think you have an
assumption that they were after a sharper, more pungent sound.  Toyohiko
has shown the contrary.  He plays with a historical technique, close to the
bridge, but he uses a low tension gut string set, and he gets a beautiful
sound.

ed