Valery, I was going to ask the same question about which tutors advocate
playing close to the bridge... I remember something like that but in the
baroque period, not  in the renaissance, and it seems that the increasing
number of strings/courses influenced the right hand position and that gradually
the right hand came closer to the bridge than in the earlier period.

I had set a couple of pages to demonstrate this and other things too on the
basis of iconographical evidence. At the time there was a discussion about the
use of the left hand thumb to stop strings over the neck, a practice clearly
illustrated in a lot a paintings in the 16th century and quite common for jazz
guitarists nowadays.
At the same time there was also a controversy about Hoppy Smith's choice to
play near or above the rose for his Dowland's programme, which I thought to be
a very good idea indeed and musically rewarding.

Then, to push my argument forward I put these pages online and you can have a
look at them at :

http://le.luth.free.fr/renaissance/index.html    for the 16th century

http://le.luth.free.fr/baroque/index.html    for the 17th century

http://le.luth.free.fr/baroque2/index.html  for the 18th century

http://le.luth.free.fr/pouce/index.html  about the use of the left hand thumb,
and Arthur J. Ness gave more information on that at
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzepq31c/thumb.html

Feel free to react... or not !

Jean-Marie

======= 25-09-2008 20:16:40 =======

>Could you please name the tutors telling to play so close to the bridge ?
>and the iconographical evidence (yes there is some but not so much...)
>And the other evidence (speak with some luthiers) is to try to play the
>strings in different places and hear where sound is the best (objectively,
>not just as an idea of your ideal sound) Of couse it depends on the lute,
>strings and soundboard, but I'm quite sure it is not by playing close to the
>bridge you get the better "objective" sound from our instrument.
>Do you also think people listening to songs like Janequin wrote, Lassus and
>others, listeining to viols and flûtes, could like buzzing strings on frets
>? I'm really not sure of this idea. (I believe Da Milano's silver nails is a
>poetic hyperbole, so many poetic hyperboles in this time poetry, paintings
>and writings....)
>My two cents...
>Valéry

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://poirierjm.free.fr
25-09-2008
Nˆ¶‰è®‡ß¶¬–+-±ç¥ŠËbú+™«b¢v­†Ûiÿü0ÁËj»f¢ëayÛ¿Á·?–ë^iÙ¢Ÿø§uìa¶i