Hello Valery
Thomas Mace for sure. I'm fairly sure Marin Mersenne and Mary Burwell. Now I was sure Gerle said something like 'plant the 4th and the 5th finger on the soundboard close to the bridge' - but on checking I find he actually says 'place the little finger and the ringfinger on the soundboard, not on the rose, but a little lower'. Hmm, false memory...

Or maybe it was Newsidler who said to put the last finger on the soundboard very close to the bridge - I'll check.

So I must re-phrase my statement:
The original lute tutors consistently recommend playing close to the bridge...

SOME of the original lute tutors recommend playing close to the bridge...

Andrew