Rob
I heartily agree with you. I have a mono cartridge of 1950 made for the French ORTF, the dynamics that this gets out of early vinyl LPs is jaw dropping. La Callas is in the room; while, with the stereo cartridge the same recording is lifeless. I have also heard this cartridge used with a diamond for 78 on a shellac, and it was breath taking. Probably 78s were more often made with one take. Please do make you next recording on 78.
Anthony