Question:

If all lute tab publishing is standardized to one specific variety,
based on some overarching consensus, what happens to the art of
reading the other varieties? Won't we be setting ourselves up to
become so wedded to one variety of TAB that there won't be anyone left
in two generations (other, maybe, than doddering nonogenarians) who
can manage transcription from other kinds of Tab?

I'll admit that I'd like french-style baroque tab with a little less
flourish and confusion. But if I don't ever bother to learn to read
it, I won't be able to do anything with manuscripts.

I, for one, don't want that lost.

ray