Clarity above clutter is a common factor in many postings. Personal
preferences - grid rhythm signs versus minimal use of rhythm signs,
landscape versus portrait, where to place measure numbers - are not
interesting in itself, but if there are enough people sending in their
preferences some sort of order will come. To avoid complaining about
bad practices, all too easy, I'd like to know what people think is
beautiful tablature.

Some favourites of mine, in no particular order but facsimiles only
for starters and beginning on one side of the bookshelves so leaving
out much else: Saizenay (not always clear but always beautiful), the
Petrucci prints (because it still looks like it was printed yesterday,
although I must say I have difficulty with the continuous stream of
rhythm signs), Morlaye (second book with the straight bar lines, every
measure a rhythm signs, btw), Vallet (a bit cramped on the page, but
such elegant ciphers and adapting the d's and b's to available space),
Gerle (comforting amounts of white page around the music, pity of the
page turns), Airs de Cour books from Ballard (nice d's that fit neatly
between the lines), Ballard premier livre (good page lay out, clear
signs, very wel done, buy the facsimile now, even if you have the CNRS
edition), and Toyohiko's handwriting, I might add: elegant and clear.

Could be summarized as clarity above clutter with elegance mixed in.

FWIW, Finale has the option to break tablature lines at the ciphers, a
feature greatly enhancing legibility.

David