I do in a sense. I think the lute has *way* too small a pool of
performers and audience. To create a large professional class and
amateur base we have to do something different, we have to make big changes.
Had we started this 20 years ago, there would be 20 times more
professional players, and thousands more amateurs. If people need to
make money, there could be a tiered system where people get free
editions, then gravitate up.
Or, the model used by ensembles, where editions are supported by arts patrons.
But we need more players, then everyone does better.

I make a fine living playing the lute, but many of my colleagues on
violin, etc, have a much larger base to draw upon. For the lute to
really thrive we need a big base.
Conservatory jobs are now being cut back, and it is up to us to
encourage new players.
Many of my colleagues on the lute have to scramble for work, or take
day jobs--nothing wrong with that, I worked some pretty bad jobs in school.

And why should there be so few professional concert artists on the
lute? We can change this.
dt