I think everyone has their faves, just like the original copyists.

Here's a few themes:
1. Landscape vs portrait--
Both existed historically, some formats work better for some music.
But see below
2. Diplomatic facsimile--hints at, or strongly resembles the
original. A very good choice for many lute players as they have
knowledge of original tab notation.
A nice choice for many less problematic items, follow the original in
choosing paper size, flags, etc

3. Reconstructive facsimile
Used in some but no all musicological editions. The idea here is that
whatever is on the page will allow you to recreate the original.
There are many ways to do this, it is a very good way to present editions.

4. Edition Facsimile
Choose an editing option and facing or on subsequent pages include
the original.
NB This is the only satisfactory way to do an edition since we do not
use sophisticated proofing techniques.
You need not do a rigorous reconstructive edition as the facsimile is
present, unless you so choose.

5. Study editions
This is a bit off topic, but everyone should be using study editions,
ideally in three or four part staves, although most of these are in
keyboard notation.
However, unless you are training in short score, which is of course a
great way to get gigs, single line expansion is much, much better for
study and improving your playing than keyboard, and has historical
precedent as well, for example, Dowland's Lachrimae set.

Once you have decided which kind of edition you are making, many
choices will follow a sort of house style, for example, in a
diplomatic facsimile you will want to choose the fonts and spacing
that resemble the original.
However some of these choices will be personal; the computer allows
the end user to "repersonalize" the edition.
So, include a computer file so the end user can mess around with it.
Currently Finale and Sibelius users benefit by the XML interchange
format, a standard interchange format--other than midi--would be a
good thing, although midi has sort of occupied that slot, G Flats and all.

6. A wiki interface for correcting online editions should be present.
This is very important.
7. All editions should be free. We need more lute players. Thanks to
all who make the music available.

dt